I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
My oldest son was killed yesterday, he said,
They killed him on his way home from work,
A stray bullet hit him.
He was going to get married in a month.
I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
I lost my job last week, he said,
A harder worker than me you can not find,
I lost my job last week,
The management is laying off people.
I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
My brother lost his farm a month ago, he said,
Not much crop, so he owed money,
The bank took it away from him,
He depends on me for money for food now.
I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
There is no electricity at my house, he said,
I could not pay the bills,
So they cut off the power supply,
An honest man like me, why should I steal like the rest?
I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
I cannot go home today, he said,
Because the roads are blocked;
There's firing everywhere,
If I die, how will I feed my six children?
I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
I am looking for a job, he said,
I am honest but uneducated,
My children are studying so they have better lives,
How will I feed my children tomorrow?
I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
My city is in flames, he said,
How shall I raise my children in this atmosphere?
How do I know that they will be alive tomorrow?
I want my city back.
I once met a man,
Crying as he sat on the sidewalk.
I asked him why he cried,
And I got this answer.
I gave my life for my country, he said,
I fought the war for my country,
I gladly put my life on the line,
Is this how my country repays me?
:(
ReplyDelete*tears*
ReplyDeletewoah. God bless our Pakistan<3 :(
ReplyDeleteimpressive.... but sad
ReplyDeleteYou've left me speechless.
ReplyDelete:/ :|
ReplyDeletehttp://carl-sandburg.com/POEMS.htm
ReplyDeletewow. that's really impressive.
ReplyDeleteI like your blog, following :) and thanks for folowing mine ;D