I smiled as I walked into the building where my office was. Today was a good day; it was raining, I had gotten paid last night, and I had found out this morning that my body fat percent had fallen by another percent. I took the stairs to my floor-sixth floor, not that much exercise-and was pleased once again at the fact that I wasn't out of breath at the top. I checked the mailbox outside my door; a letter from my department manager congratulating me on my performance last month, and a letter from the engineering department, reminding me that convocation was in two days. Today was indeed a wonderful day, and I said a prayer thanking God for all His blessings.
I had just taken my coat off when I felt my phone vibrate; I looked at it, and it showed three voice mails from her. I wasn't that surprised; my office was one of the few places in the building that got reception, so I must have missed her calls while I was coming to the office. I opened the first voice mail, and my blood ran cold when I heard it. I was on the phone with her instantly, and ran out as after telling my supervisor that I had an emergency. She was scared, she was crying, she didn't know what to do. I kept talking to her, and while running down the stairs, I dialed 911 from my other phone.
"Hi, my fiance has had an accident, she's at Greenville and Richmond, black Pontiac Solstice, she's been hit badly."
My building was two minutes away, so I pulled up behind her car just as the ambulances and police cruisers did. I remember seeing the EMT's run to her before I could, and saying that she was unconscious; them putting her on a stretcher and rushing her to the ambulance, and an officer calling for a shroud for the other car's driver. The other car had run a red light, hit her, and flipped over. I remember an EMT guiding me to the back of the ambulance, then staring at her while she fought to breathe, and getting out at the hospital and staring at the doctors waiting for us. It was only then that I called her parents and then mine, letting them know what had happened.
I'm sitting in the ER waiting room right now. The waiting room feels cold, like it's an uninviting, forbidding place, but then, no one wants to ever be here. I've been sitting here for the last four hours, praying and just waiting. I just want to hear her voice again, hear her laugh, see her smile at me, I just want to know she's okay. Both our families are here, stressed out beyond belief. No one is talking, because we're all praying, quietly, having faith that God will grant us our wish.
No comments:
Post a Comment